Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ten Smells

I'm challenging all who have blogs of their own or who wish to leave a comment to this affect to tell me of their 10 memory connected smells:

10 smells that bring back memories:

1. The smell of pipe tobacco reminds me of my Grandpa Scot, though I don't remember him really in many other ways, when ever I smell a good cigar or pipe tobacco I feel a twinge of sadness and miss him somehow.
2. Tomato plants, or green tomatoes .. remind me of a home we had outside of the Indian village where my dad built a stone wall around our home and planted tomato plants, cotton and some "11 o'clock" flowers. That smell always reminds me of that house.
3. Apple juice always reminds me of the first day we returned to Canada in 1979 and I was offered apple juice at my Grandma Snyder's house for breakfast. It was such a strange juice and it smelled so different from anything I'd ever tried. To this day, I remember that day when I smell apple juice.
4. Lavender will always remind me of my Mom. I'm not sure if it's her favorite or not. She doesn't always wear it or anything .. but somehow in my mind, I think it's her favorite, to me it's her special smell.
5. Buttermilk will always remind me of special attention from my Dad. He used to make a big deal of sitting down to a glass of buttermilk and crackers, he'd share it with me and try to tell me of what it was like to live on an Alberta farm, while we were surrounded by Brazilian grasslands or rain forest.
6. 'Ether" I'm not sure It's an alcohol smell ... we used in the mimeograph .. before photocopying. When we had to make multiple copies of things for the ministry and I got to turn the handle of the mimeograph machine. It was a "chore" but I liked the work. The smell isn't pleasant but the memories are.
7. Jasmine flowers .. always remind me of the Mission base. My friend Ruth and I used to play behind the Language school and make "perfume" by mixing water with the crushed flower pedals. At night if you walked by that place you'd smell the flowers.
8. Hot, steamy, wet air. I don't know how to tell you the smell ... rain forest air after a rain but it's drying up fast because it's a hot day on the equator. It makes me homesick.
9. Ginger ... I'm not sure what the memory is, but I have a good memory of it somewhere, I love the smell of ginger. It's a comforting smell, somewhere in my subconscious.
10. Coffee ... strong, hot and sweet... served in little cups with bright eyes and loving hospitality from the poorest of homes and the largest of hearts. Huge white toothed smiles behind tiny cups of the worlds sweetest strong coffee .. Brazil.

I challenge you to take a trip down memory lane with your nose.. you'll be surprised what you will remember too!
I'd love to hear about it. Tag: it's your turn.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I'm not sure what smells remind me of stuff

I dont think I have smells to remember because I am only THIRTEEN!!!!!

Mary Lynn said...

great idea - might take me a while to think of these!